Friday 20 December 2013

Beginner’s guide to Nigerian pidgin English

How Bodi? / How You Dey? – How are you doing today?
How Far? – Hey, Hi
Wetin? – What?
Meat Vendor in Nigeria
Photo by author.
I no no – I don’t know
I no sabi – I don’t understand
I dey fine – I’m fine. I’m doing well.
Wetin dey happen? – What’s going on? What’s happening?
Wahala – Problem/Trouble. Example – Why you dey give me wahala? Which means why are you giving me so many problems?
Comot! – Get out of here!
Comot for road – Make way
Dem send you? – Have you been sent to torment me?
Gi mi – Give it to me.
K-leg – Questionable.  Example – Your story get k-leg! Which means your story or gist sounds suspect or exaggerated.
I Wan Chop – I want to eat
Come chop – Come and eat
Abeg – Please, but usually not a repentant plea. Example – Abeg! No waste my time!; Which means Please! Don’t waste my time!
Vex – Upset. Example – Make you no vex me! ; Which means “Don’t upset me!”
I no gree – I don’t agree, I disagree
Abi? – Isn’t it?
Na so? – Is that so?
Wayo – Trickery. Example – That man be wayo; which means “that man is a fraud!”
Area boys -Street-smart young men that loiter around neighborhoods.
Butta my bread – Answered prayers. Example – “God don butta my bread” which means God has answered my prayers
Go slow – Traffic jam
I go land you slap – I will slap you!
Listen well well – Pay attention

No comments:

Post a Comment